Sunday, January 07, 2007

Whole Wheat Penne in Cauliflower Sauce

I have never come across the use of the cauliflower in Italian dishes except for Pasta Primavera or Minestrone, so when Rachel Ray of 30 Minute Meals said on her show that she was making Pasta in Cauliflower sauce, it held my interest. The recipe was easy with just a couple of ingredients and I wanted to try it for myself to see if it was as good as she had said it would be ... it was :)
This is a very healthy Pasta dish, made with whole wheat Penne, garlic, onion, rosemary and cauliflower. Try it out and I am very sure you will enjoy it as much as K and I did.

12 oz whole wheat Penne Rigate
1 medium cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
1 red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1 cup stock (I used a cup of the Pasta water)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (I didn't use any)
1/2 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Boil water in a large pot. Add salt and the penne and cook till done. Remove 2 ladleful of the pasta water (if also using stock or else remove 3 ladlefuls), drain the pasta and keep aside.

Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan and add the chopped garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes and add the chopped onion. Cook till the onion turns tranlucent. Add the cauliflower florets, stock / pasta water and rosemary. Cover and cook till the florets are cooked. Add salt and pepper and mash the cauliflower. Add the reserved pasta water and the Penne. Mix well. Now add the grated cheese and toss the pasta to combine. Serve hot and enjoy !

10 comments:

FH said...

Sounds great!Never made cauliflower sauce with pasta,but will try!:)

Lakshmik said...

Hi Sangeeta

You will not believe it - I downloaded this recipe from foodtv.com just yesterday. I will post my version too soon. Cheers!

Sangeeta said...

Hi Asha,
Thanks for stopping by :) Definitely give it a try. I was surprised by how light and great this was.

Hi Lakshmi,
Great minds think alike :). Looking forward to your version of this dish. Take care

TNL said...

Cauliflower sauce....wow, that is something I am willing to try..I love to try out new pasta sauces!

Thanks Sangeeta, will wait for the picture, it does sound yummy though.

Trupti

Vini K said...

Hi Sangeeta,wow never heard of cauliflower in pasta..will have to try this one..

Sangeeta said...

Hi Trupti, Vini,

The cauliflower sauce was what held my interest when I saw the show. Just so different from the usual tomato based sauces :) Try this recipe... I am sure you will enjoy it.

Manjula said...

I am always there to try pasta recipe that do not call for any cheese. U said u didn't add any cheese in urs...Gotto try this one.

Seema Bhat said...

Cauliflower sauce , wow that sounds good.
Thanx
Seema

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Never knew that cauliflower and sauce could go together!!!!! This is amazing!!! I am gonne try that out soon!!!

www.mykhazanaofrecipes.wordpress.com

Nidhi said...

Cauliflower Sauce...thats creative Sangeeta, I like the addition of a vegetable sauce with Whole wheat Pasta, Yummy and Healthy.... :)

Thanks for sharing and thanks to Rachel Ray as well :)

Nidhi.