Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Tamatar Rajma : Kidney Beans in Tomato Gravy

This is K's version of Rajma. He loves Kidney beans and last night he hustled up a great dinner consisting of Matar Pulao (Peas Pulao), Rajma and Potato fry. What I liked about this dish was the creamy taste and texture without the use of cream / milk / almond paste / cashew paste. This is my entry for Pooja's Vegetable of the Week : Tomato

2 cans kidney beans
2 medium onions
2 tomatoes, chopped fine
4-5 cloves garlic
1" ginger
2 whole dry Kashmiri chilli / red chilli
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
Chopped coriander leaves to garnish
Salt to taste
Oil

Grind the onion, garlic cloves and ginger to a paste. heat oil in a pan and add this paste. Cook till it turns light brown. Now add the chopped tomatoes, whole chillies, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and salt. Cook till oil separates and the tomato is well cooked.
Drain and rinse the beans. Add to the tomato paste and cook for a minute or two. Add water and bring to boil. Lower heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with Rice.

11 comments:

Manjula said...

Hi Sangeeta,

Do u make this thick like curry or thin like dals?

Also, Do u have the recipe for homemade Garam masala?

I have a little tip in these kinds of recipes which calls for grinding onion, garlic, ginger and later frying them.
I reverse the process, first fry them to golden brown and then grind to paste. I make it for pulav and other curries. Its just easy to fry the pieces than the paste.

Manjula

Sangeeta said...

Hi Manjula,

Good to see you. Thanks for the tip - that sounds easier than making a paste and then frying.

I have the recipe for homemade garam masala. I'll mail it to you :)

Pooja said...

Hi sangeeta,
nice entry for tomatoes. I like the picture too !
thanks for participating .

-Pooja

Vini K said...

Hi Sangeeta,Nice rajma curry!so nice to hear that K made the dinner.I wish my hubby(V) was like that!:)

Bong Mom said...

That rajma looks good. I love Rajma Chawal too.

Sangeeta said...

Hi Vini, Thanks :)

Hi Sandeepa ... Me too. This is comfort food for me.

Sangeeta said...

Hi Pooja, Thanks.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Rajma-chawal is my all time comfort food!!!!! And your recipe sounds great!!!!

www.mykhazanaofrecipes.wordpress.com

Seema Bhat said...

Rajma looks yummy dear. Nice and easy recipe. Will try it your way next time.
Thanx

Seema Bhat said...

sangeetha, I don't know why am i not able to comment. Hope this one goes thro' . Lovely dish and simple and quick, yet looks rich.
Thanx

Anonymous said...

Wow! Rajma I love it. Thanks for sharing it. And also thanks for adding mine to your blog list.
-JJ