Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Baingan Bhaja - Fried Eggplant


Eggplant or Baingan as we call it is a common vegetable across all cuisines in India. Baingan Bhaja is quite a common dish in Bengal and Orissa. My Dad loves this dish so it was made frequently in our house.

1 medium sized eggplant
1 tsp red chilli powder
3/4 tsp salt
Cooking spray
(Eggplant will soak up as much oil as you put in the pan. So I use cooking spray)

Wash and pat dry the eggplant. Cut into 1" thick discs. Fill a large bowl with cold water and soak the eggplant discs in it for about 15 minutes. (This will remove the bitter juices). Drain water and pat dry the pieces with a paper towel.
Mix the salt and red chilli powder in a small bowl. Heat a Tawa (Griddle)or a flat bottomed pan on medium heat. Spray some cooking spray. Take a little bit of the chilli-salt mixture and sprinkle on one side of the eggplant. Put that side face down on the pan. Cook till it browns. Spray a little cooking spray and sprinkle the salt-chilli mixture on the other side. Change sides and cook till the side is brown. Serve hot and enjoy !

7 comments:

FH said...

These look great Sangeeta!:) Light work,yummy dish!:))

Seema Bhat said...

Sangeetha:
Happy NEw year buddy!!! Nice looking eggplants there. I make simillar ones too in oven ( in my blog under the name baked eggplants).Yours looks easy too. Doesn't this taste wonderful with just plain curd rice.
Thanx
Seema

Manjula said...

My mom used to deep fry baingan. I never liked it as it used to absorb a lot of oil. Will surely try pan frying this.
Your Pics looks very good and very inspiring.

Sangeeta said...

Hi Asha,
Thanks for your kind words :)

Hi Seema,
I have this just by itself sometime - no rice or Paratha needed :)

Hi Manjula,
Try this nout and let me know how you liked it

Vini K said...

Hi Sangeeta,looks nice. I generally make dahi baingan with eggplants.,where the eggplant slices are fried on tava just like you did.mmm very good!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh my....what a lovely recipe...i have to admit...i am not a big baingan fan..but your recipe looks great....thanks for sharing

Seema Bhat said...

Sangu, I am back agian to let you know that i just tagged you for Meme. Have a peak at my blog when you have time.
Thanx
Seema