Monday, January 22, 2007

Spinach-Split Pea Dal- Palak Chana Dal

Dinner : Naan, Baked Potato, Spinach-Split Pea Dal

I had seen this recipe on Indira's blog and since then had been wanting to try it out. Dal Palak (Spinach Dal) was a staple in my house during the winter days, but we used Moong Dal instead of Chana Dal. I definitely wanted to try this recipe with the Split Pea. I decided then that I was going to make this dish. A quick trip to the Grocery store and I was good to go. Thanks Indira for this wonderful recipe.

1 cup mixed green and yellow split pea (You get this packet at Trader Joe's)
1 small packet baby spinach
1 medium sized onion, sliced fine
4 fat cloves of garlic, minced
3 tomatoes, chopped
1" ginger, finely grated
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
4 cups water
Salt to taste
Oil

Wash the split pea and soak in warm water for about 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan, add the garlic and cook for a couple of seconds. Now add the sliced onion and cook till it turns pink. Add the grated ginger and cook till onion begins to turn a light brown. Now add the chopped tomatoes, and cook till the tomatoes become mushy and soft.
Add the spinach and cook till it wilts. Add the washed lentils, 4 cups of water, salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder. Bring to boil, cover the pan, lower heat and let simmer till the lentil is cooked. Serve hot on a bed of rice / Roti / Paratha or just by itself and enjoy.

7 comments:

FH said...

Mouthwatering,I love Dal Palak!:)

Seema Bhat said...

Loved the recipe Sangeeta, Very healthy too.

Manjula said...

I tried making Dal palak a couple of times..never came out good. Got to try your version soon.
By the way split pea is not chana dal. Its the dal from Yellow/white & green dried peas.

Pooja said...

I also tried making it this way from other blog buddy's post. it si simple superb.
your picture looks great.
also i liked your papaya paratha very much,
thanks for sharing
-Pooja

Anonymous said...

great recipe....I love daal...you have a great recipes...thanks for sharing

Dr. Soumya Bhat said...

Hey nice combo.Wish could get to taste it to.Spinach is my altime favorite ...hee.thanks for the visual treat buddy..

Adhi Potoba said...

I make a version of this that my girlfriend loves. I think I'll try this one she'll definitely love it. Anything for a few cheap brownie points.