Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Filled with Goodness : Kohlrabi

(Recipe courtesy Myriad Tastes)

Kohlrabi is also called Knol Khol / Ganth Gobhi. I had not tried this vegetable before but K loves it and so I had to learn how to cook this vegetable. While surfing the net for recipes, I found a simple yet packed with flavor recipe and decided to try it out. Even I was pleasantly surprised how good this vegetable turned out to be.

During my research on the health benefits, I learnt that Kohlrabi is an excellent source of Pottasium, Vitamin C and Fiber. It is also very "waist-friendly". Good to taste and figure friendly - what more could a girl ask for :)


3 Kohlrabi, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1 green chilli, finely chopped
2 tbsp grated coconut
1 tsp coriander powder
A pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp urad dal
6-7 curry leaves
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup water
Salt to taste
Oil

Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and when the seeds begin to pop add the urad dal, curry leaves and cumin leaves. Cook for a minute and then add the kohlrabi, coriander powder, green chilli, hing, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and add 1 cup water. Let cook on medium heat till kohlrabi is done. Add lemon juice and grated coconut. Mix well and serve hot with Roti. Enjoy!

10 comments:

TNL said...

Hi Sangeeta....I have yet to try this, looks similar to a potato when cooked, I think.

Trupti

jacob said...

Looks and sounds great and delicious. any idea what it's called in english (or malayalam)?

FH said...

I love this veg.It's great to make Veg Pulaos too and Sagu.Looks great!

Sangeeta said...

Hi Trupti,
Yes, when cooked, it does look like a Potato dish, but the texture is creamy and crunchy. :)

Hi Jacob, in English we call it Kohlrabi. I don't know what it is called in Malyalam, but let me find out.

Hi Asha, Thanks for stopping by. I haven't been able to access the Comments link on your blog, so wanted to say : Great must try recipes :)

Manjula said...

Hi Sangeetha,
Where is kohlrabi available in California? knol kohl seems like a familiar name.
My Dad used to get in from the local farmers market back in India..I used to hate it then..Now I'm interested to try just because you mentioned waist friendly :))) ha ha

Sangeeta said...

Hi Manjula,

Thanks for dropping in :) I found this veggie at the local Indian grocery store. I am going to check the local Farmer's market if it is available there.
It is deginitely very "figure friendly" :))

Seema Bhat said...

Sangeetha,
Like you I have never tried Kohlrabi till date. Will try it out sometime now.
-
Seema

Suma Gandlur said...

Sangeetha,
My mom preapares it with out lime juice and grating the kohl rabi. This is one of my favorite vegeatbles. Thx

Lakshmik said...

Hi Sangeeta

Just today I posted a recipe for Kohlrabi saute. Yes, it is a wonderful veggie.

Anonymous said...

oh!!!! what is this!!!!! its new to me!!!! Looks like our legendry potato side dish.