Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Dhaba Dal

My brother and his friends would go to one of the many Dhabas on the outskirts of the city and get dinner from there home once a week. It would give my Ma and the cook a break from cooking for a bunch of ever hungry young adults. Food from the Dhaba was something my Dad also enjoyed. We were unanimous in our love for the Dhaba Dal. I present to you our version of this delicious Dal. Enjoy it with steaming rice or Naan.


2 cup urad dal, picked and cleaned
3/4th cup chana dal, picked and cleaned
2 tbsp chopped ginger
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp butter
2 medium sized onions, chopped
6 green chillies, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
Oil
Salt to taste
Handful of mint/coriander leaves, chopped to garnish
2 eggs (optional)

Cook the lentils in a pressure cooker with salt, 1 1/2 tbsp ginger, 1 1/2 tbsp garlic and butter. Once the cooker cools down, mash the Dals against the side of the pan. Keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan. Add onions and fry till golden. Add the remaining ginger and garlic and cook for a couple of seconds. Add the green chillies and tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are almost cooked and mushy. Add the dal to this and mix well. Add the coriander / mint leaves. If using eggs, make scrambled eggs and add to the dal. Mix well and serve hot with naan or Rice. ENJOY :)

6 comments:

Vini K said...

Hi Sangeeta,dal looks very simple to make and tasty too.Guess I got one more addition to my list of to-try recipes.:-)

Sia said...

wow, after all spicy ,oiled food there is nothing better than just dal and rice... beautiful pic...
cheers
supriya

Lakshmik said...

Hi Sangeeta

I am sure this dal tastes like the one from the Dhaba. The urad dal makes it taste that way. It is so similar to my recipe for Dal Makhani on my blog. Check it out sometime.

Sangeeta said...

Vini - Thanks ! This is really an easy to make dish and very flavorful

Supriya - Thank you for your kind words

Lakshmi - Thank you ! I make Dal Makhni with whole urad dal (posted earlier on the blog).

Thank you all for stopping by my blog :)

Anonymous said...

I remember eating dhaba foods on long journeys...it was the best! thanks for sharing the recipe.

Kudos,Trupti

Lakshmi said...

never heard of it.
happy thanksgiving.