Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Pepper Chicken Curry

Recipe Adapted from : Sailu's Food

Sometimes, some recipes just call out to you. I saw this recipe on this blog and it was so interesting that I just had to try it out. I had never used Saunf (Fennel Seed) before while cooking chicken. The combination of the spicy pepper and mild fennel was so intriguing. I am glad to say the dish was as great at it looked. This is one dish that will be featuring often in my house now :)

1 1/2 lb of chicken, remove skin, cleaned (I used drumsticks)
2 onion, sliced fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1" ginger, minced
4 green chillies, sliced lengthwise
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp saunf (fennel seed) powder
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
Oil
Chopped coriander leaves, to garnish

Heat oil in a pan and cook onions till brown. Add the sliced green chillies and the ginger-garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the chicken pieces and cook on high heat for about 5 minutes.
Now add salt + turmeric powder + coriander powder + saunf + ground pepper and mix well so that the chicken pieces are well coated. Cook covered for a couple of minutes and add the chopped tomato. On medium heat, cook till the tomato is cooked and oil separates.
Add 1 cup of water (if you want thick gravy, use 1/2 cup of water), cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add the garam masala and chopped coriander leaves. Mix well. Serve hot with steamed rice / Paratha / Dosa. Enjoy !

3 comments:

FH said...

I made a similar one chosen from a Tamil Nadu cookbook! I will post it next week.Mine is lot thicker from coconut sauce though.
Looks yummy Sangeeta.I love Sailu's recipes.I made coconut chicken curry from her,it was so good.Enjoy the curry:))

Bong Mom said...

I did this too from Sailaja and now its a regular when I have friends over. Everyone loves it. The feenel adds a very nice flavor

Anonymous said...

That really looks yummy! :):) I love the seasonings you used in it.