Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Birthday Lunch - Peas Pulao, Garlic Asparagus, Kofta Curry, Rich Chocolate Cake

It's K's birthday today. To celebrate, I made Peas Pulao, Garlic Asparagus, Meat Kofta curry and to finish off this great meal, dessert was a rich, moist chocolate cake. This was the first time I was baking a cake, and in all honesty I cannot take credit for this super good cake. Thanks to Pilsbury Cake Mix, the cake was superb and I got all the compliments :)


PEAS PULAO

2 cups Basmati Rice, cleaned and soaked in water
2-3 cloves
2 green cardamoms
1" cinnamon
1/2 red onion, finely sliced
1 cup peas (I used the frozen ones)
Oil
Salt to taste

Heat oil in a pan and add the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon. When they begin to sizzle, add the sliced onion. Cook till translucent. Add the peas and salt. cook for a minute. Drain water from rice and add to pan. Mix gently. Add 4 cups water and bring to boil on high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover the pan and cook till the water has evaporated and rice is cooked. Remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Fluff gently and serve hot with curry of your choice. Enjoy !

8 comments:

FH said...

Happy B'day to K! YUMMY spread there!!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! My birthday is 8/9! Ha ha! J

Vini K said...

Hey Sangeeta,Belated B'day wishes to your hubby!the spread looks nice.BTW,I saw in your comment to trupti that you say potol for padval.are you a native of Orissa?I was born and brought up there too though we are originally from Andhra.

TNL said...

Hi Sangeeta,

B'day wishes for K... B'day lunch looks great..hope you two had a wonderful day. I liked your kofta curry recipe too...I guess I can substitute veggies for that chicken in there.

trupti

Sangeeta said...

@ Asha, Thanks

@ J, I will whip up a delectable meal come D-day :) K is already wishing it was Aug .. LOL

@ Vini, like you I was born and raised in Orissa (hence I call it home) but am originally from Bihar

@ Trupti, yep you can use any veggie. Ma used to make this dish mostly with veggies. )

swapna susarla said...

Hi sangeeta
cake is looking good.can u please give me the recipe for the cake..i am seeing this peas pulao in so many blogs..have to give atry once!!

Smitha Sathish said...

Hi Sangeetha,
I am new to your blog. I saw the pic of Garlic Asparagus. It looks delicious. but couldn't find the recipe though. Can you please give me the recipe of that?
Thanks
Smitha

Anonymous said...

What a delicious spread!!!!!! The b'day boy would surely have nejoyed it!!!! :) Hope you had a nice time. :)