Monday, October 29, 2007

RCI Bihar : Kadima Tarkari

My parents were very excited when they heard that I was hosting the RCI event for Bihar. My Mum and Dad, bursting with recipes, were ready to cook up a storm. Today I am presenting one of their favorite vegetable : Kadima (in Maithili) or Indian Pumpkin or Squash as we call it here. On my last trip to the local Farmer's Market, I had found Calabaza Squash which in my opinion is the closest to the taste and texture of the Indian Pumpkin. You can also use Butternut Squash for this dish.

500 gms Squash
Pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
1/2 tsp Methi (Fenugreek) seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 dry red chillies
Salt to taste
Oil
Peel the squash, remove the seeds and threads. Cut the squash into 1" cubes.

In a pan, heat oil. Add the Hing, Methi seeds and the chillies. Now add the cubed squash, turmeric powder, salt, chilli powder. Mix well. Cover the pan and cook on medium - low flame, stirring occasionally. Cook till the squash is cooked.

Serve hot with Roti / Paratha and a bowl of yogurt. Enjoy !!


This is my entry for the RCI : Bihar event.

15 comments:

Srivalli said...

that looks good...btw..when did you announce RCI Bihar?..I seems to have missed the announcement and now not able to get the link!

musical said...

Lovely tarkari, Sangeeta! i am just as excited! looking forward to more authentic Bihari recipes from you :). btw, the RCI logo is really pretty!

Unknown said...

Sangeteha, it looks so simple, yet delicious!!

FH said...

First entry for Bihar, looks yum!:))
I have been cooking for you too, will post soon.Making Kabab and other veg dishes too!

Anonymous said...

Looks yum and simple to cook too. Nice entry.

Tee said...

Superb! looks so yummy! :) I had missed your announcement and realized only after seeing your post today...will definitely be there with some good recipe :)

Rajitha said...

lookin good..

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! I am so sorry I didn't get that butternut squash in the supermarket today!

Anonymous said...

I still have to research on this cuisine. I have absolutely no idea about bihar cuisine. That curry is looking excellent.

Padmaja said...

hey sangeeta!! look how ignorant i am? don't know what bihar's cuisine is like??
But i am sure i can make soemthing and send it over!!

Latha Narasimhan said...

The logo for the event is beautiful!:) Tarkari means vegetable in kannada! amazing how languages are similar! I faintly remember a Bihari recipe shown in a TV programme some years back! May be I'll send that for your event!:)
Admire your parents enthu!:)

Mythreyee said...

Looks yummy dear. just want to try this right away. thanks for sharing.

Mansi said...

lovely looking! thanks for sharing a cherished home recipe:) Sorry I couldn't cook anything "Bihari" this time:(

Anonymous said...

Hi Sangeeta, so glad your parents are interested in your blogging. That squash veggie looks easy and tasty…truly appetising dish of ghar ka khana.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sangeeta, so glad your parents are interested in your blogging. That squash veggie looks easy and tasty…truly appetising dish of ghar ka khana.