Thursday, March 01, 2007

JFI:Aloo Parwal Bhujiya - Potato-Indian Gourd Stir Fry

Parwal or Potol(as it is called in Orissa) was the constant vegetable during the hot summer months back home. This tiny little green gourd ( similar looking to the Tinda ) along with Opo Squash was what you got in abundance and my mother constantly had to improvise in cooking methods to get us to eat this vegetable.
When I saw Trupti post a recipe with this vegetable, I walked down nostalgia lane. Imagine my delight when I found a packet of Parwal in the frozen food aisle of the Indian grocery store. I called up Ma and got this recipe from her. This is my entry for JFI-Potato.
2 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into long slices
1 packet frozen Parwal
1 small red onion, sliced fine
1 dry red chilli, broken into two
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
Chopped coriander leaves, for garnish (optional)
Salt to taste
Oil
Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. When they begin to sizzle, add the sliced onions. When the onion turns pink, add the potatoes. Cook till the potatoes are half done. Now add the Parwal, turmeric powder, coriander powder and dry red chilli. Mix well and on low heat cook till the potatoes and parwal is cooked, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste, mix well, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with Roti/ Paratha. Enjoy !

8 comments:

Bong Mom said...

Now you walk me down memory lane. The Alu-Potol tarkari looks exactly like we make it, though we normally do not put onions. Rest is same
But tell me did you like the Frozen Parwal ? Somehow the brand I had got did not live up to expectations and so have never bought them again.
What brand did you buy and did you do anything special to the frozen parwal ?

Sangeeta said...

Hi Sandeepa,

I got the Ashoka brand of frozen parwal and made it the same evening. The taste wasn't like the fresh parwal, but no complaints. I have had nasty experiences with the Deep brand of frozen veggies and I generally avoid them.

bee said...

wow. i love eatern indian cuisine.

FH said...

Hi Sangeeta, great looking stir-fry.I thought it's Tendli too,so it's not!!I have to look for Asoka brand the,thanks for that.I usually don't buy frozen from Indian grocery but I will try next time.

Mythreyee said...

thats a simple and wonderful dish.

Anonymous said...

nice touch...I haven't tried it with onions! Will have to try this version.
trupti

Unknown said...

Hi
Love this aloo bhujiya. Looks very tempting and inviting. Thx for sharing this recipe here.
Have u tried Aloo masala bath, very simple and easy to make bath with aloo:
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/6931-post61.html

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.