Friday, September 29, 2006

Kumhro Saag ( Pumpkin with Greens)

As a kid, I was not too fond of Pumpkin (Kaddu). I would eat it but not with relish. The only thing I loved was the fritters Ma used to make with the Pumpkin flowers. We had a pretty large pumpkin patch and in season I would go with my dad to pick the flowers.
But this dish I always enjoyed. Ma used to cook the pumpkin with Greens and potatoes and the dish was always yummy. In Bihar, where I come from, Pumpkin is called "Kumhro" and any Green Leafy veggie is called "Saag". Hence the name "Kumhro Saag". I have used Spinach and Butternut squash for this recipe.

1 medium sized Butternut squash, peeled and diced into 2" pieces
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced the same size as the pumpkin
1 packet frozen spinach
2 tbsp oil
2 dry red chilli
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
Salt to taste

Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin and turmeric powder . Add the dry red chillies and saute it for a minute. Add the pumpkin and potatoes and cook for 5 mts. Add the cayenne powder, coriander powder and the spinach. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt and 1/4th cup water. Cover and cook till the potatoes are done. Serve hot with rice/roti.

1 comment:

Vini K said...

Sangeeta,what a novel way of cooking pumpkin..I am going to try this as I have frozen spinach, and pumpkins are in season now.Thanks for sharing.